Storage Group not updating.

Mar 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Hello,

I have created a storage group with the following:

storage.CreateStoreGroup(SqlAzManSID.NewSqlAzManSid(), name, description, "", GroupType.Basic);

If I then want to edit and change the description how do I call the update method.  I tried the following:

IAzManStoreGroup existingStorageGroup = storage.GetStoreGroup(origName);
 existingStorageGroup.Update(ownerSid, description, GroupType.Basic);

But what on earth is the first parameter the owner Id?  I have tried passing existingStorageGroup.SID and that didn't do anything.  You have mention something about objectSID before but I have not been able to fine any reference to this.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:52 AM

Pass the SID of the user who is trying to do this update.

So in a web application you might do something like:

IAzManSid mySid = checkAccessHelper.Storage.GetDBUser(System.Web.HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name).CustomSid;

then of course:

IAzManStoreGroup existingStorageGroup = storage.GetStoreGroup(origName);
existingStorageGroup.Update(mySid, description, GroupType.Basic);

Adjust for windows auth or whatever.

EnterpriseMonkey - I see you using this a lot - we need to beef up the documentation on this project to make it easier for people to get going.  Do you have any opportunity to contribute so code/examples/documents/etc? 

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Thank you for this.  Looking back I had used the users id for both the creation and update but when I noticed it was wrong for the creation as all items had the same sid then I assumed it was also wrong for the update too :-).

Yes I would like to contirbute something when I have time to write it, possibly over Easter.  I feel there isn't enough example code as people learn a lot quicker by example than by reading pages of text, also the area around the BizRules is a little thin on the ground at the moment.  Luckily I haven't had to use BizRules so I couldn't contribute code for these.  When I started using NetAzMan I had a read of the entire documentation but at the end was no wiser about how to actually use the application so a colleague had to give me a quick 10 minute demo of it and then it mostly made sense.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Agree 100% with you on the docs.  This is a great product, it just needs a FAQ and some more getting started.