Why would Operation Definitions/Authorizations disappear when in Administrator Mode?

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:50 AM

I see you have them down as supposed to disappear, but why?

The administrator cannot make an authorization on an operation but a developer can?

The administrator cannot create add operations to roles/tasks but a developer can?

Seems to me this should be available to the administrator?

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Hi,

Look at NetSqlAzMan Guide, pag. 23:

“Note 2:

NetSqlAzMan can work in two different ways: “Administrator” and “Developer”; the first one doesn’t regard local Users/Groups/Well Know SIDs but only the Domain or Forest Active Directory Users/Groups/Well Know SIDs and doesn’t allow the Operation manipulation (because considered at developers use); the second one regards both . The “Developer” way has been done just for the development time, when the Deployment environment isn’t available or not even known. In this way the developer has to define from which are the Operations that make up each Task (previously defined by the analyst). To change this way it’s necessari to use the console and, by right clicking on the.NET Sql Authorization Manager node, choose the Options menu.”

“Administrators” is intended as business analyst … so they don’t need to know Operation names because operations are created by developers for the NetSqlAzMançèApplication communication.

Regards,

Andrea.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I read that documentation.

While I agree the administrator would not add/edit/delete operations, it is perfectly logical that they could create tasks based on operations and that they would be able to look at existing tasks/roles to see what operations they perform.

Imagine that you as a developer created some roles and tasks for what was needed.  As a developer you cannot be expected to know all the ways the authorizations can and will be combined...and you do not care.  That is what makes this product so great.  When the administrator needs a set of operations for a group of users, they just create a task attach other tasks/operations and go.  Developer does not need to be involved.  

Additionally you can give authorization at the operation level if you had to.....but the developer is not the one giving authorizations....and that option is not available to administrators.

What I am saying is that when you go into 'administrator mode', it should turn off the ability to add/delete/remove operations, but not remove them from being shown or added/removed from tasks/roles.  (The other regarding of local user/groups/etc change is fine).

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Hi,

NetSqlAzMan follows same rules as MS AzMan.

In Administrator mode operations are not available also when you try to manage roles and tasks.

See this web resource for further details:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998336.aspx

Regards,

Andrea.

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Well, that article gives very little information on it, just mentions that you cannot do it in administrator mode.

Instead of just copying Microsoft, I thought this product was to be like it and improve on it. 

I think the above would be an improvement - and if you do not agree I guess I can just have everyone run in developer mode.