OK...after a bunch of messing around with the our Network Admin we figured this out.
The error means exactly what it says...the cause is that the secure channel, the security channel, between the machine and the domain controller is out of sync. It appears the the encryption keys got
out of sync. To reset the the security channel use Netdom.exe
netdom reset <machinename> /domain:<domainname>
<machinename>, is the name of the machine experiencing the issue.
<domainname>, is the name of the domain on which the machine resides.
This resolved the issue. We found the Check Access tool, on the store context menu in the snapin to be very helpful.