Load Test - Number of Users/Roles/Tasks

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:37 PM
Hi Andrea,
  I've used .NetSqlAzMan in the past (and, in fact was wrangled into converting to vb.net for some strange reason);  In my current job, I again am looking at the product to handle our authorizations.  My question can be layed out thus:

We will have about 30,000 users, and about 40 tasks for this particular application.  We have two AD Domains that end users authenticate against (using a custom LDAP/AD authentication scheme I wrote).  So, while a user will be authenticated against either of the AD domains, we will create a "User" table in a database to store profile information, etc rather than using LDAP/AD.

That being said - VERY interested in using the WCF cache service backended by the SQL store for authorizations due to the fact that the front-end of this application will be either ASP.Net or Silverlight 3.0. 

Now, the authentication mechanism has been used in the past successfully with .NetSQLAzman with some serious work, but I am beyond that work now.  The questions remain though:

What kind of Cache server would be needed (Size, etc)?  What's the hit, network-wise for something like this, if every user has authorizations on every page from a list of 40 tasks, etc?

Thanks for *any* info.

Tim F.

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Hi,

NetSqlAzMan WCF Cache Service has been precisely designed and built to support large loads.

In Memory (RAM) is preserved a copy of all data in the NetSqlAzManStorage database, but obviously in a  .NET environment... the use of memory is very small … compared to a SQL Server DB.

As regards the performance just to mention a number on all about the NetSqlAzMan WCF Cache Service:

It supports on “classic” server  about 2,000,000 of CheckAccess per minute.

It’s enough ? J

Regards,

Andrea.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Something to think about is to move the caching so it gets distributed.  Using something like Velocity to handle the cache may be something that should be looked at instead of having a stand a lone windows service, it doesn't scale that well.
Coordinator
Apr 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Hi,

I don’t know Velocity by I have seen that it is a CTP (CTP3).

I will look it.

Thanks.

Andrea.