MMC Limitations, etc

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:21 PM
Ok, so I have a Database with Users in it (little over 13,100) The MMC allows me to add users to roles, groups, etc, but with that many users, it would be beneficial... actually it is needed, that the MMC interface allow for searching for users, etc and filtering capabilities.  (otherwise, it keeps trying to load all users when I try to select just one or more).

Also, is it possible that the MMC could display more than just the user name when adding DBUsers?  Such as the UserName, FirstName, LastName or any number of extra fields to more easily locate the users?

Appreciate any input on this - our user base is going to quickly grow beyond what I think will work and the only limitation, I believe, is the MMC Console (which we will be relying on).

Thanks!

-Tim
Apr 8, 2009 at 7:21 PM
In addition, we have a scenario where the user base is different per application. So it would be nice to filter users by application
Apr 8, 2009 at 7:26 PM
Sweet call.  Lots of additions to the MMC are needed for when these situations arise.  Would love to help... just got too busy yesterday unfortunately...

Andrea, are you the only one on this project? Looking for help?
Apr 8, 2009 at 10:09 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Apr 8, 2009 at 10:11 PM

This can be done changing  the dbo.GETDBUsers () table function.

Look for comments inside the T-SQL.

Regards,

Andrea.

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Hi Trip,

yes I’m the only one.

Should be marvelous if someone would participate in the NetSqlAzMan develop.

Please tell me which part you want do develop.

Let me know.

Regards,

Andrea.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:39 PM
Andrea,

Yes, I can change the UserName that is returned, but then that also changes what is used for all future Authorizations, correct?  I simply want to return the UserName, FirstName, and LastName (or Full Name) so that I can populate the MMC with all three and thus much easier find my users when modifying permisions - sometimes the UserName is nothing but garbled junk and does not reflect in any way an actual persons name.

At the same time, I don't want to authorize agains the database based on FirstName or LastName... hope that makes sense.

Tim
Apr 14, 2009 at 6:22 AM

Hi Tim,

this feature request was implemented in the change-set 21986.

Please do some tests and let me know.

Regards,

Andrea.