DB script has unexpected DB version number

May 10, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Hi Andrea,

I've just downloaded and installed version 3.5.4.1 onto a Vista PC and created a database using the NetSqlAzMan_SqlServer.sql script that was added as part of the installation.

To my suprise, the script for the NetSqlAzMan_DBVersion function within the newly created DB returns the value 3.5.1.0.  When I run the MMC snap-in, I get a version number mis-match reported.

I was expecting the script with version 3.5.4.1 to create a database with version number 3.5.4.1, not 3.5.1.0.

Did you intend for the DB creation script supplied with the latest installer to create a DB at version 3.5.1.0?

Regards

David Razzetti

May 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Following on from above, I have now run the upgrade script from 3.5.1.0 to 3.5.4.1.

Having created a store within the database using the MMC snapin, I executed Properties | Permissions upon the store and received an Untrapped Console Error:

Error details:

Invalid column name 'MemberSid'. (repeated four times).

ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified.

There then follows a large stack trace.  The NetSqlAzMan lines in the trace are:

at NetSqlAzMan.SqlAzManStore.getUsers(Byte netsqlazmanfixedserverrole)

at NetSqlAzMan.SqlAzManStore.GetManagers()

at NetSqlAzMan.SnapIn.Forms.frmStorePermissions.RefreshStorePermissions()

at NetSqlAzMan.SnapIn.Forms.frmStorePermissions.frmStorePermissions_Load(Object sender, EventArgs args)

Coordinator
May 11, 2009 at 7:42 AM
Hi David,
I have download now the 3.5.4.1 from codeplex and the sql script contains the right version:

[...]

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF

GO

CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[NetSqlAzMan_DBVersion] ()

RETURNS nvarchar(200) AS

BEGIN

return '3.5.4.1'

END

GO

[...]

.... you scared me :-)

Probably you are affected from the Vista "Virtual Storage" :-)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowssecurity/thread/e85a62b7-d7c6-4d77-8b4c-11d5892b7218

Regards,

Andrea.

Coordinator
May 11, 2009 at 7:43 AM
See my previous answer.
You are not using the right SQL Storage version.

May 13, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Grrrr!  I hate Vista!

You are correct.  After Googling for some time I finally managed to find out where this 'Virtual Store' lived on my machine and sure-enough, within it was a copy of the SQL script from the previous version (3.5.1.0).  Why it was there (it was the only file) I have no idea.  Perhaps it was an editted copy from when I was sorting out the earlier issue regarding script failure on a server with a case-sensitive collation sequence.

Anyhow, if anybody else runs into this issue, the virtual store is at:

C:\Users\<user-name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files etc

Coordinator
May 13, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Hi David,

when a user (you) edit a file in a common path (like Program Files) this file is edited in the virtual store … so each user can have own copy.

Next time, if you want to edit the “real” file … just launch Notepad with Administrators privilege (Run As Administrator).

This is the reason for which a lot of programs does not works with Vista (with UAC enabled).

Regards,

Andrea.