Cache service is constantly trying to send analytics data

Topics: General Topic, WCF Cache Service
May 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM

While profiling the performance of my web app I noticed that the cache service is constantly trying to contact an analytics service, which is blocked by our corporate IT policy. It keeps trying several times a second to send this information continuously for the entire time the service is running.

Now apart from the obvious effect on resources this has I think it's very poor that you don't make it explicit that the application sends this information in the first place. I suspect many users are probably unaware that Azman is spying on them in this fashion and would not be pleased if they knew, especially given the kinds of context that Azman is likely to be used in.

At the very least there should be an opt-in / out option in the installer.

May 26, 2011 at 7:11 AM

“Spying” is not nice word and the fact that it is not true !

The use of analytical data is represented with even a world map on the homepage of netsqlazman.

Furthermore, the data do not contain personal information but merely serve to understand what are the most used feature, and then to enhance those rather than others.

If you do not like that you can choose to use another product.

May 26, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Yes, I appreciate the reasons why you would wish to collect this information, and how it is useful. I do not think your intentions are malicious. Nonetheless, you are collecting this information from people's computers without permission and without any mention that this will happen. This is wrong. And as I say it is trying to send this information several times a second, which is surely a bug.

How can people make an informed choice about using the product if you do not tell them about this behaviour? I think Azman is a great piece of software and I thank you for your hard work on it but I'm shocked that you think this is acceptable practice.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM

I wouldn't use the word spying, but I concur with psutclieffe's point of view. Can this feature be disabled through configuration?

I am in the same situation, the IT policy doesn't allow such behavior and I think most of your users work for corporations that don't allow it. Choosing this path doesn't do your product any good. If I cannot disable this feature then I am not going to use your product.

If you are interested in collecting geographical information about your users why don't you set up a page where we can enter this information. I would be most happy to tell where I am.

Thanks

Jul 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM

The problem is that the PreEmptive Analytics system is based on .NET attributes. and Instrumentations.

I also tried to ask for support to Preemptive but without success.

Apparently there is no configuration that can "turn off" the collection building.

What you can do is to deny intenet access to the server on which NetSqlAzMan is running.

Another way is that you can download the source code, delete PreEmptive attributes and DLL and compile all again (more clean).

Regards,

Andrea.