NetSqlAzMan with .NET Membership Provider

Topics: General Topic
Apr 1, 2012 at 11:32 PM

From what I did understand it seems that your great job is only tied to Windows Accounts right? Do you have plans for a version wich uses Users in the database like the .NET Membership Provider?

This wold be a great enanchment over the ASP.NET standard Role and Authorization provider.

Apr 2, 2012 at 7:17 AM

The NetSqlAzMan .NET MemberShip Provider already supports “DB Users”.

See the NetSqlAzMan Guide (page 49) – UserLookupType=”DB” … xml attribute.

Regards,

Andrea.

Apr 2, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

This is a great news I should have missed it in the guide and examples.

Going to check asap! Thanks

Apr 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

The more I use and code against NetSqlAzMan, the more superb I see it to be.

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

I still have to try it but I guess I’ll have to agree. I programmed a similar system with classic ASP back in the year 2000. Now in those days I’m finally migrating to ASP.NET and I don’t understand why such a provider isn’t shipped by default with the framework instead of the silly base provider.

Providers have a great meaning non just for functionality but for compatibility as well. If I program my app against the ASP.NET standard provider, I can be sure to find (for example) a “forum component” wich will integrate seamlessly because it’s programmed against the standard provider. So the default Microsoft providers should have been a little better from the start, supporting at least hierarchy and operations.

Anyway…

Just one last question, are you Italian? I ask you because I’m Italian and I saw the screenshots in your guide :)

Apr 2, 2012 at 3:12 PM

You get this one "out of the box".

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.security.sqlmembershipprovider.aspx

It is adequate.

I like the Provider (abstract model).  It does not pigeon hole you.

But like most things, no matter what Microsoft chooses to do.....some people will like it, some people won't.  The nature of the beast I guess.